• 136 tonnes of humanitarian aid – medicines, medical equipment, powdered baby formula – shipped for 10 NGOs and 3 Lebanese hospitals.
• Initiative led by twelve major donors with the participation, for several months, of the International Relations Department of Assistance Publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP) for global coordination.
• 49 TEUs (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) shipped from Marseille to Beirut on board the CMA CGM Group’s ro-ro vessel, the Aknoul.
The CMA CGM Foundation is continuing with its efforts to support the people of Lebanon in the face of the country’s ongoing dramatic situation. In particular, it has arranged the transportation of 49 TEU of humanitarian aid as part of its “Containers of Hope” program. All the containers were loaded on board the Aknoul, a vessel of the CMA CGM Group, a world leader in shipping and logistics, which arrived in Beirut today. This relief campaign launched with the support of the French Embassy in Beirut aims to meet the pressing needs of the country.
Donations to respond to the essential needs of the Lebanese people
The containers of humanitarian aid arrived in Beirut today with:
• Medicines and medical equipment to fight the Covid-19 pandemic donated by the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, the French Ministry for Solidarity and Health, with Santé publique France, the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region (Regional Council) and the Thiviers-Sorges Rotary Club and Tours Plumereau Rotary Club.
• 5 batches of a regulated drug to the intensive care units of 5 structures (FAL, Lebanese Ministry of Health, Hôtel-Dieu de France Hospital, Notre Dame Maritime Jbeil Hospital, Sisters of the Cross Hospital).
• Almost 55 tonnes of Powdered baby formula donated by the CMA CGM Foundation to 5 Lebanese NGOs, and the collective “Change Lebanon”, by the company Sodilac and the Cooperative Isigny Sainte-Mère, to the association Beit El Baraka, with the support of the France-Lebanon Endowment Fund (FdFL) and its donors, the Abouzeid Foundation and the Association Liban Avenir Meilleur (ALAM).
• Computer and telephone equipment and professional cooking equipment donated by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and Les Enfants de la Méditerranée (LEM).
A humanitarian aid campaign to help recognized NGOs and Lebanese hospitals
The donations will be given to the Lebanese army’s central military pharmacy, three local hospitals – Hôtel-Dieu de France, Saint Joseph des Sœurs de la Croix and Notre-Dame Maritime Jbeil – and local charities specializing in humanitarian aid – Association du Foyer Libanais (AFEL), Nawraj, the Beirut Metropolitan Rotary Club and Beit El Baraka. The International Committee of the Red Cross has shipped IT, Water & Sanitation, Workshop and Orthopedic equipment for its own operations. The French embassy in Lebanon will ensure that the donations are distributed correctly.
5 additional tonnes of powdered baby formula donated by the CMA CGM Foundation
To meet the urgent needs of Lebanese families and the nutritional needs of Lebanese children under 3 years old, the CMA CGM Foundation has bought almost 5 tonnes of powdered baby formula. The boxes of formula will be distributed to the Lebanese army and five local NGOs – Ruwwad Al Tanmeya, Rghif Rahme, Libami, Jamyiat Al Watan, the Catholic Youth Center – with the support of CMA CGM Group subsidiary CEVA Logistics. This effort follows the purchasing and delivery in June 2021 by the CMA CGM Foundation of more than 4,000 boxes of baby formula and 10,000 baby food products to nine Lebanese NGOs.
Strong commitment to helping Lebanon
By shipping humanitarian aid, the Group is continuing to support Lebanon through the CMA CGM Foundation by reiterating its support for the Lebanese people. Since September 2020, 130 containers of humanitarian aid have been delivered to Beirut for free as part of its “Containers of Hope” program to help more than 20 Lebanese NGOs and hospitals.