Green hydrogen business developer H2 Energy and Trafigura Group Pte Ltd, a market leader in the global commodities industry, have today published a whitepaper to coincide with Transport Day at the COP26 climate talks taking place in Glasgow, United Kingdom.
The whitepaper calls for governments to act quickly on a range of policy measures to incentivise private sector investment and kick-start zero-emission hydrogen trucking ecosystems across Europe.
- Low-carbon hydrogen is a clean, versatile and powerful fuel with the potential to replace fossil fuels in a range of applications, including in hard‑to‑abate sectors such as heavy-duty transport and industry.
- Heavy-duty trucking is an optimal sector for the introduction of low-carbon hydrogen, as it offers the lowest marginal cost of abatement.
- Converting 10 percent of the diesel truck fleet in Europe to hydrogen fuel cell trucks could avoid up to 40 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.
- The development of low-carbon hydrogen supply and infrastructure ecosystem for trucking would act as a catalyst to accelerate the growth of the wider hydrogen economy.
- The whitepaper identifies some of the policy support measures that could effectively kick-start zero-emission hydrogen trucking ecosystems.
- Both CapEx and OpEx support is required from governments to enable the rapid adoption of hydrogen trucking
Download a copy of the whitepaper here.