1. The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) and Infocomm Media Development Authority of Singapore (IMDA) understand that in view of the ongoing COVID-19 situation, seafarers may be facing challenges in renewing their certificates issued under the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers 1978, as amended (the STCW Convention).
2. The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has on 2 April 2020, issued a Circular Letter No.4204/Add.5/Rev.1 to encourage STCW certificates issuing administrations to take a pragmatic and practical approach regarding the extension of certificates, including medical certificates, and endorsements due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
3. In line with the IMO, MPA and IMDA have taken a pragmatic approach as follows:
- All Certificate of Competency, training certificates (i.e., certificates issued under Chapter VI of the STCW) and associated endorsements issued by MPA or on behalf of MPA expiring between 01 April and 01 October 2020 may be extended for a period of six months from the expiry of the respective certificates.
- All GMDSS General/Restricted Operator certificates (GOC/ROC) issued by IMDA expiring between 01 April and 01 October 2020 may be extended for a period of six months from the expiry of the respective certificate.
4. The Seafarer shall complete the declaration form provided in Annex A of this circular and submit to MPA([email protected]) and/or IMDA( [email protected]) respectively for the request of extension of certificate(s). MPA/IMDA will carry out assessment of the request accordingly and issue a letter for confirmation of extension if the request is approved. If required, MPA/IMDA will schedule a telephone call or video-conference call with the Seafarer as part of the assessment.
5. A copy of the completed declaration form and the confirmation of extension issued by MPA and/or IMDA should be kept on board and may be used as MPA/IMDA’s approval.
REVALIDAITION OF CERTIFICATES
6. Notwithstanding the above, seafarers who can renew their certificates before the expiry date of the certificate are strongly encouraged to apply for revalidation of the certificate before the expiry date. Certificates that are revalidated successfully will be extended for 5 years from the date of issue printed on the certificate.